A man walked into a cinema. He had guns, smoke bombs, explosives. He killed, indiscriminately, and wounded many more. His apartment may have been booby-trapped, showing that this was pre-planned.
And the internet is full of dumb commentary.
- It’s not even a good movie.
- Was he [political persuasion]?
- This is a liberal conspiracy to take our guns!
- Why was nobody in the cinema armed so they could shoot back?
- He bought the guns online! That’s the issue!
- Hollywood can only blame itself for this, they promote this violence!
- Guns will always exist.
- Because military personnel need them.
- As a civilian, you only need them because the other guy might have them.
- And that isn’t reason enough.
- And you certainly don’t need anything above a pistol. Ever.
- Go ahead, cite figures, debate, try to rationalise another position; it will not change the above.
- Anyone who has a gun can be a killer. They don’t need to be allied with anything - no political leaning, no groups, societies, nothing. Guns don’t care who dies, nor do bullets.
- The easiest step towards halting gun violence is to make ammo impossible to acquire, followed closely by the guns themselves. Not licensing, not timescales, nothing controls how many people a gunman kills than how many shots he can fire.